A few reminders and some new opportunities that may be of interest clinical engineering professionals working in Atlantic Canada are listed below;
1) National Clinical Engineering Week
2) Name the Org Contest
3) NFLD Conference
5) Atlantic Clinical Engineering Group (working title) activities
1) The first ever National Clinical Engineering Week is coming up March 1- 8, 2008. Are you planning to celebrate and let your institute know you are proud of your accomplishments?
Some ideas for CE week
A) Have a meet and greet in your cafeteria – CE cake and coffee at afternoon break
B) Establish a CE info booth/kiosk in your foyer
C) Email contest on what people know about clinical engineering – contest and prizes
D) Posters on bulletin boards.
Regardless of what you get up to we would like to see pictures and hear of your activities for posting on our future website and the national CMBES website.
2) Name the Organization contest is wrapping up its first phase Feb 28th, 2008. Please be sure to get your submission in by then! Forms are attached
Many thanks to Olympus for donating a camera for the winning entry!
3) Newfoundland Conference – Ron and Keith and the team in St Johns are wrapping up the planning for this year's Atlantic Clinical Engineering Conference. The conference planning has gone very well. The sessions are looking great and vendor support is excellent. Special rates on airfare and accommodations have been negotiated and will make conference attendance affordable for all. You will receive an invitation to register within the next few days.
4) Two webinars of interest to let you know about;
1) The Clinical Engineering Society of Ontario (CESO) is hosting a conference/webinar on Feb. 14, 15 in Toronto.
We have an interesting line-up of sessions:
1. Green healthcare
2. Pandemic planning, Infection control, contaminated equipment 3. Smart Pumps - Human Factors issues and implementation issues 4. New technologies in healthcare - an overview - student presentations
5. Quality Indicators for Clinical Engineering Services 6. IT - Software issues - implications on clinical equipment 7. New CSA draft standard CSP3000 - implications for field inspections and device safety 8. Power Quality and UPS issues in hospitals
A conference brochure is available at www.ceso.on.ca
If you cannot attend in person, register to attend by webinar. A site license for the webinar is $300, and any number of people can view the webinar for this price.
Registration deadline is Monday February 11 at 5PM
Register online at:
2) AAMI (register at AAMI.org) Best Practices in Wireless Planning, Implementation, and Troubleshooting is a 90-minute webinar focusing on an in-depth look at the wireless issues facing biomedical and clinical engineers and IT professionals.
Join us as we discuss the following essential topics:
- Risk Assessment of incorporating wireless devices into the IT infrastructure
- Evaluation, deployment, and support of new wireless technologies
- Your role as Clinical Engineer, Biomedical Technology Manager, or IT professional in dealing with wireless issues
- Practical steps to best address the wireless challenges in your own facility
- And more.
Invite your staff, IT colleagues, or other interested co-workers to join you for this convenient and affordable learning experience. You won't have to leave your office or your facility to participate!
Don't miss this opportunity to hear from the experts and to get answers to your specific questions.
- Rick Hampton, Wireless Communications Manager, Partners Healthcare Systems
- Chris Riha, Director Clinical Systems Engineering, Carillion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
Mark Your Calendar: Wednesday, February 13, 2008
5) Atlantic Clinical Engineering Group (working title) – Updates and activities
Ø Planning is underway for elections of executive members at the Saint Johns Conference.
Ø We have confirmed our Mission and Objectives statements – to be published to coincide with the Saint Johns Conference
Ø The name of the organization and our contest winner will be announced at the Saint John conference
Ø Developing our own Webinar schedule for CE education is getting underway
Ø Initial Discussions are underway for the 2009 conference
Ø Membership rates have been confirmed and will be announced in Saint Johns and coincide with a notice to all Atlantic CE professionals